Holiday Treats to Keep Away From Your Pet

For most people, a major part of the holiday season is getting to enjoy special treats and libations with loved ones. While you enjoy all the festivities, take some special precautions to keep your pets safe around the following holiday treats that could be dangerous for them.

9 Holiday Treats That Are Dangerous for Pets


1. Chocolate

Chocolate is probably one of the most common ingredients in holiday treats. It’s in candies, cookies, drinks, and more. Despite its delicious flavor, it is toxic for both cats and dogs. The darker the chocolate, the less amount is needed to make your pet ill.

2. Nuts

Almonds, walnuts, pecans, and macadamia nuts all contain compounds that can make your pets sick. Other nuts have such a high fat content that they can put pets at risk of developing pancreatitis.

3. Raisins

Grapes and raisins found in many stuffing and dessert recipes during the holidays are poisonous for pets.

4. Xylitol

This artificial sweetener is found in several types of candies and gum. It is especially common in sugar-free treats. It’s highly toxic to pets.

5. Alcohol

Alcohol is also toxic for pets. Be sure to keep your drinks covered and out of the reach of your pets.

6. Turkey

While a nip of turkey won’t hurt your pet, particularly fatty cuts and the skin can cause pancreatitis and upset stomach. Additionally, the seasonings and other ingredients cooked with turkey often contain compounds that are poisonous for pets.

7. Allium

All plants from the Allium plant genus are toxic to pets including onions, garlic, leeks, chives, and shallots.

8. Yeast

Yeast found in raw dough can be harmful to your pet’s intestines if ingested.

9. Nutmeg and Cinnamon

Spices like nutmeg and cinnamon are poisonous for pets. While you probably won’t give your pet these as a treat, be careful when you’re baking that your pets don’t accidentally ingest any of it or eat any sweet treats containing these common holiday spices.

What to Do If Your Pet Ingests a Toxic Substance

If your pet accidentally ingests a toxic substance, contact Sage Creek Animal Hospital and seek emergency veterinary care immediately. We can provide you with instructions for caring for your pet while you transport them to our veterinary hospital.
To learn more about holiday pet safety or our emergency veterinary care services, we welcome you to contact our animal hospital in Winnipeg today.